Circa 1825 Greek Revival
536 Old Post Road, Fairfield CT
We’d love to show you around, give us a call. Represented by Carrie Perkins, (203) 258-4171
5 Full,1 Half Bath
Greek Revival architecture is referred to as the “National style” of the early 1800’s. It coincided with the growing acceptance of Democracy and marked a young, flourishing America.
The detailed architectural trim, heavily molded cornices, classical Corinthian columns and tall slender windows had a broad appeal that represented both economic security and a distant idealized culture – having a temple-like feel.
Great care was taken during the extensive renovations to maintain the integrity of the original historic Grecian style.
Unparalleled Chef’s kitchen
Using every inch for optimal organization, a great kitchen is central to everyday living. This expansive custom kitchen does not dissapoint.
Details include a 12ft tin ceiling, reclaimed chestnut floors a generous mud room. 48″ Viking Professinal 6-burner range, Sub-Zero refrigeration, 2 Bosch dishwashers, oversized farm sink with high gooseneck faucet, brushed granite countertops and fully custom cabinetry. Lyptus wood tiered island with hammered copper sink and warming drawer.
536 Old Post Road, Fairfield CT
This stately home, publicly described in 1971 by Lloyd Marsh of the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities as “the finest example of Greek Revival Architecture in Connecticut” is a federally protected landmark in the original Historic District of the Town of Fairfield.
Four two-story Doric Columns guard the magnificent front door, framed by leaded arabesque glass panels and a carved lintel supporting a rare wrought iron lantern. The lower front windows reach from floor to ceiling and have protruding lintels as do the balance of the windows which have six-over-six window panes. There are 12 foot ceilings in the Family Room (Parlor) and the new Kitchen addition.
Handwritten documents at the Fairfield Historical Society show “a blacksmith shop and a dwelling house” which is believed to be the current home on the property, prior to the American Revolution. They were burned to the ground by the British when they sacked the town in 1779. Like most of the homes destroyed by the army of King George, it was defiantly rebuilt or replaced within the year. The original beamed rooms on the first and second floors are of board and batten construction beneath the clapboard. It is believed that the oldest (main) part of the house was built by Daniel Dimon, a carpenter and Captain in the Revolutionary Forces, who also built the Burr Homestead. He died in 1808 and his headstone is just inside the gates of the Old Burying Ground on Beach Road.
In 1825, there was a significant jump in tax assessment at 536 Old Post Road and in that year the Greek Revival style of building was sweeping New England. As one historian put it, “That was the year people turned their houses sideways.” One can surmise that this accounts for the fact that the original beaming is now parallel to the road, the structure has a Greek Revival façade, and that a wing which contains a Drawing Room has 12 foot ceilings and 6 sets of crown moldings was added at a later date.
A story surrounds the stone wall across the front of the property: It explains that the wall was built to protect the homeowners from the dust of the horse drawn carriages on this New York to Boston route and that an early owner persuaded the town fathers to let him cart off the stones from an original 17th century blockhouse in “Wolf Swamp” used as protection against the Indians. These stones came from the site of the present Roger Sherman School. Directly next door to 536 Old Post Road in front of the Sherman Parsonage, there is a Franklin Stone which reads, “20 miles to New Haven.”
The house was believed to have been kept in the Dimon family for many years. Previous owners include Priscilla Dimon, Aunt Prissy, famous in town for her tasty, rich black plum cake, and in Victorian times, Ellen Tooker Pierson, who resided here alone and was known as eccentric by keeping a man’s hat and cloak on a cloak rack in the foyer so as not to appear to live alone. The story goes on to say that she always dressed completely for dinner including donning long white gloves. In the early 1900’s, a high-spirited owner with a passion for polo ponies was said to have stripped the first floor of its wide-pegged floors, marble mantels, and the chandelier and ornamental plasterwork in the Drawing Room to pay for his gambling debts. Subsequent families have lovingly restored and refurbished the house including the addition of the Viennese crystal sconces in the Formal Dining Room.The grounds contain one of the oldest Linden Trees in New England at over 170 years old, located in the front of the home, while in the rear of the home is a grouping of 3 Holly Trees, 2 American and 1 English which rise 35-40 feet and are approximately 55 years old.
The current owners, Stephen and Toni Habetz, have made extensive improvements to the property including a 3-story addition which encompasses a Media Room with Projector/Screen television, a new Kitchen with custom cabinetry, gourmet appliances, reclaimed random-width chestnut floors, Mudroom, and a 12 foot tin ceiling, a marble Master Bath, closet and dressing room, and a 4-season heated porch with removable glass panels. They have also added a new staircase to the third floor and completely replaced 4 bathrooms. A two car garage with unfinished loft was added in 2012.
Like all of the homes surrounding the Town Hall Green, 536 Old Post Road is blessed on the hour and quarter hour with the church bells heard from First Church Congregational. The town Christmas tree glows in its windows during the holiday season and the Memorial Day Parade seems to bring most of Fairfield warmly to its gates on a May morning each year. As for the Old Post Road, residents need not travel far to enjoy Fairfield’s history and community at its best!
LIST OF IMPROVEMENTS
15 FOOT PRIVACY TREES WHICH WILL GROW TO 75 FEET
2-CAR GARAGE WITH UNFINISHED LOFT COMPLETE WITH ROUGHED-IN ELECTRICAL AND PLUMBING
3-STORY ADDITION WHICH INCLUDES A NEW GOURMET KITCHEN WITH CUSTOM CABINETS, BRUSHED GRANITE COUNTERTOPS, 2 BOSCH DISHWASHERS, VIKING 6-BURNER RANGE, SUBZERO REFRIGERATOR/FREEZER, 12-FOOT TIN CEILING, RECLAIMED ANTIQUE CHESTNUT FLOOR, MUDROOM, MASTER BATHROOM, DRESSING ROOM, WALK-IN CLOSET, AND MEDIA ROOM
ALL NEW BATHROOMS (5 ½)
NEW 4 SEASON PORCH WITH SCREENS FOR SUMMER, GLASS PANELS & HEAT FOR WINTER
NEW BLUESTONE PATIO
NEW MECHANICALS INCLUDING, HYDRO-AIR HEATING/COOLING SYSTEM, 400 AMP ELECTRICAL SERVICE, ALL NEW PLUMBING, 3 GAS FIREPLACES, & HEATED MARBLE/TILE FLOORS IN 4 BATHROOMS
ALL NEW LIGHTING FIXTURES OR REWIRED ANTIQUES
NEW HARDWARE ON DOORS AND WINDOWS
COMPLETELY PAINTED INSIDE AND OUT
MARBLE/GRANITE SURROUNDING FIREPLACES
LAUNDRY ON SECOND FLOOR AND IN BASEMENT
SPRINKLER SYSTEM, INVISIBLE FENCING FOR DOGS, AND EXTENSIVE LANDSCAPING
CARRIE KLEIN, Partner
Luxury Specialist & Accredited Buyers Agent
Affiliated with RE/MAX Heritage Real Estate
20 Saugatuck Avenue, Westport, CT 06880